Bright and early on Saturday morning I picked up Lisa at a very packed airport (I think everyone was trying to flee this ridiculous weather are getting), greeted her with a classic Midwest Bear Hug, and we were off! This trip has been planned for only a month but it seemed like a long time coming; I think this past weekend was something we both needed: lots and lots of girl time.
Here are some of the things that I learned this past weekend:
* Apparently Mother Nature is nice and graces us with her lovely presence (as in 45 degrees and sunny) for special out-of-town guests. This will lead you to shedding your coat in favor of feeling a bit springlike. Don’t be too fooled, though. The weather will change after the sun goes down.
* Getting to the zoo within 30 minutes of them opening? Best idea ever. No lines to see the penguins!
* You know a lot more about the history and culture of your city than you think, but you always forget the Arch is 630 feet tall.
* Sitting on your bed, magazines askew, Generation X music on in the background? Reminds you both of high school, the days you couldn’t drive, and it is SO much fun. Nothing like just relaxing and being girls for a bit, no worries about driving, bills, plans, boys, nothing beats it!
* Celebrity gossip and looking at fashion is fun at any age. You’re also reminded of why you and Lisa are such good friends: your thoughts and tastes are incredibly similar.
* You might get totally giggly and say something like “smokes like a fish,” when you really meant “smokes like a chimney.” This will become a running joke for the rest of the weekend.
* Introducing your boyfriend to one of your best friends is really fun, especially when they like each other and get along really well.
* Mexican and margaritas is more fun when you’re celebrating a friend’s early birthday (and when the margaritas go down very easy).
* There are some bars in St. Louis that would be ideal for numerous episodes of “What Not to Wear.” We found one of those bars. We also think we should have a stack of Vogues to hand out to people who need some fashion advice.
* Chatting over a delicious breakfast with no agenda on a Sunday? Divine.
* Colin Firth is amazing and dashing, even when he’s playing a King with a speech impediment. (In other words, go see “The King’s Speech.”)
* Sex and the City is a lot funnier than you remember it being; so fun to watch it with a true fan!
* Spinach & feta stuffed chicken breasts are really good; maybe it’s the company (your parents + Lisa), the wine, and the fact that you were totally relaxed, but the recipe is definitely a keeper.
* When going to THE custard place of St. Louis, it’s probably a wise idea to call before you go, just in case they are closed for the season. (Lesson learned the hard way.)
* Sometimes the best weekends are the ones where you put down the camera and only have a few photos to share!
* You are incredibly thankful for the blog world and the best friends it has brought you and you will always wish they lived much, much closer to you.
* It is way more fun to drop a friend off at the airport when you know you’ll see them again soon!
* Fact: You need much, much more girl time in your life than you’re currently getting.